Established three years ago, the Green Star Schools Program (GSSP) is a voluntary energy management program created to promote and support project and place-based learning for all APS students through sustainability-driven best practices. The program provides an opportunity for students to learn lifelong lessons in conservation, leadership and accountability while earning recognition and cash incentives for their schools.
Recently, the Aurora Public Schools energy conservation program held its bi-annual kickoff meeting to award schools for their commitment to energy conservation and education.
Congratulations to the following schools that earned cash incentive awards:
- Crawford Elementary School $300
- Elkhart Elementary School 230
- Lyn Knoll Elementary School $390
- Sixth Avenue Elementary School $750
- Virginia Court Elementary School $240
- Wheeling Elementary School $250
- Aurora West College Preparatory Academy $600
- Vista PEAK Exploratory $400
Overall earners for elementary, middle and high school include:
- Peoria Elementary $2,600
- East Middle School $3,700
- Aurora Central High School $7,400
After the awards ceremony, participants gathered to learn more about the GSSP and share best practices with fellow teachers. This year Green Star has partnered with Earth Force, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing hands-on PBL training to teachers and activating community action programs with our students.
The program supports the APS 2020: Shaping the Future strategic plan core belief that students take an active and ongoing responsibility for their learning.